So several years after purchasing my smallest form-factor netbook Aspire One I have stumbled upon issue that I couldn’t explain myself. Hopefully this would help somebody and save time it took me to figure out.
The Aspire One was the only netbook with descent (2GB RAM at that time) amount of memory and Linux installation out of box (=minimal support guaranteed). I have used for some time, but than gave up for a while since keyboard proved to be a bit too cramped for my palms and fingers, so extensive use caused some pain. Still it is a nice little piece of hardware that is easy to transport, not expensive (meaning if gets stolen or broken I won’t cry over it :)) and, finally, it is a full-fledged Linux-powered thing with real (althoguh small) keyboard large enough hard disk to host my music collection. All in all, after some time I decided to give it a try.
Continue reading “Resolving network connection issues on Linux Mint (Ubuntu)”
Moving to a new server is always a challenge. This time I wanted to have a proper version of Python for backend, but the current server only had version 2.4(!). As somebody put it "Wow, that’s ancient!". Anyway, as I wanted to have Django running my application I needed something at least 2.6’ish. I have asked for a new server and after some attempts my hosting provider (Lunarpages) provided me with one. OK, PHP and MySQL seem to be also OK (think of WordPress, etc), so I am settled. Right…
Continue reading “Moving to a new server: Call to undefined function: stripos() in /home/WP-LC/wp-lc.php on line 2”
Although not being addicted to vim I do happen to use it on a regular basis as it is available on virtually all environments I do meaningful work with :). To get it a bit fancier you can add the following to your
Download and copy corresponding theme like solarized.vim to ~/.vim/colors
If you get annoying A/B/C/D characters when pressing arrow buttons either change
.vimrc to get
or type it in the vim prompt
At certain point my small silent server needed an extra package, but running apt-get only gave me errors. Digging further I found that my /boot partition (default Ubuntu server setup) was running out of disk space. After manually deleting old versions of images I finally got space, but that didn’t fix broken packages, e.g.:
$ sudo apt-get -f install
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-server:
linux-server depends on linux-image-server (= 126.96.36.199.63); however:
Version of linux-image-server on system is 188.8.131.52.69.
linux-server depends on linux-headers-server (= 184.108.40.206.63); however:
Version of linux-headers-server on system is 220.127.116.11.69.
dpkg: error processing linux-server (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
Errors were encountered while processing:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
The only fix I have found was downloading and installing the missing package manually:
$ wget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/linux-server_18.104.22.168.69_amd64.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i linux-server_22.214.171.124.69_amd64.deb